Time for another installation of Libraries I Love! This week, it’s the Funk ACES Library at the University of Illinois where I spend at least 20 hours every week cheerfully working as a graduate assistant at the reference desk.
Here are the top ten reasons why you should hustle on down to the Funk at your earliest convenience:
- It is housed in a gigantic, gorgeous, octagonal building that is new and lovely and open almost 24 hours a day!
- It is full of ridiculously cool and helpful people (in addition to myself) who can help with any and all queries.
- It is located on south campus, very close to a number of residence halls. Convenient location is key, especially in the cold winter months!
- On the fourth floor there are awesome movable compact stacks that sail across the floor at the push of a button! Seriously, they’re pretty awesome.
- It’s one of the campus “hub” libraries, meaning that it’s not just for ACES students. We house the collections for the ACES (Agricultural, Consumer, & Environmental Sciences), CPLA (City Planning & Landscape Architecture), and Biology departments, but we’re open to anyone and everyone!
- The first through fourth floors are open-air, which makes for a lovely center atrium (also, if the PA system goes down we can just yell announcements up into the void).
- Unlike some of the other libraries on campus where it can get a little rowdy/noisy (lookin’ at you, Undergrad), the Funk is always a quiet place to study, even during the packed weeks before midterms and finals.
- The main floor has the most obnoxiously garish carpet you have ever seen in your life (that I’m sure was a deliberate design choice because it has some subconscious effect of making everyone smarter).
- They may have a fairly strict “no food” policy, but don’t you sleep better at night knowing that creepy critters aren’t gnawing on your favorite books?
- More and more incredibly engaging new titles are added to their collections every day.
To visit the Funk ACES Library:
Address: 1101 S. Goodwin, Urbana, IL 61801
Hours: M-Th: 8:30a.m. – 3:00a.m., Fr: 8:30a.m. – 10:00p.m., Sat: 10:00a.m. – 10:00p.m., Sun: 10:00a.m. – 3:00a.m.
Phone: (217) 333-2416